Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit!

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona duit, or that's Happy Saint Patrick's day to you if you're not up to speed with your Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) lessons - which I'm not anyway!

If you've ever met me in person you'll know that it isn't immediately apparent from my voice, but I am actually a proud passport-wielding Irishman. Back in 1959 my father left Ireland as a little boy and settled in the United Kingdom, albeit via Luanshya, Zambia. From a very young age, and much to the confusion of my friends during the 1994 World Cup in the USA and thereafter, I was taught to cheer for a team that wore green jerseys, not white ones!

A few years later, I have for some purposes re-adopted the Gaeilge spelling of my name - there is, after all, no 'k' in the Gaeilge alphabet. I then used this name when I started this blog back in 2005.

Anyway, by way of a Saint Patrick's Day offering, I have included Sinéad O'Connor's version of 'Óró, Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile' - a fantastic version of a traditional song that celebrates a victorious homecoming for Gráinne Ní Mháille.


1 comment:

Penelope said...

Love Sinead! I saw her many years ago in LA - amazing concert, amazing voice! Happy St Paddys to ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...