Sunday, November 21, 2010

Les Journaux Africains: Nr. Mosque, Main Street, Kabale, Uganda - 13.15 05/04/2010

It's just gone midday on our first full day in Kabale and as I write the sun is hideously hot. I am in full omzungu mode now: hat on, linen trousers, white shirts, etc.

We've just conducted our first expedition into the town and, compared to the previous year, I should be spending more time here than I have in the past. We took the time to look at the area near the mosque in more detail and we found a very small Islamic school called Tafiq Isalmic School.

I went in to have a look around as the kids were outside getting ready for lunchtime prayers. Amazingly the small riad-like building houses not only classrooms and the teacher's office, but also a kitchen and boarding facilities. Inside I met teacher Bright and we exchanged numbers with a view to visiting again later in the week.

Having signed the guest book on behalf of William Morris, I proceeded to peer through the back windows into the boarding quarters. As I sit here, the word squalid comes to mind, but seems a bit harsh as whoever owns/runs the school is evidently trying hard with minimal facilities.

Outside again, I encouraged my Muslim students to go to prayer for the experience, and, of course, to give praise to Allah and the Prophet Mohammed. Whilst they went in, we exchanged a plethora of 'salaams' with the schoolchildren as they made their way to prayer.

This visit to Kabale seems to be creating new missions and contacts. Next year's trip could be a very one - I may need two months not two weeks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...