Tuesday, April 27, 2010

First Match of the Season

This weekend saw the first match of the new season for the Swinging Googlies Cricket Club and, as ever, I was looking forward to it. Breaking with Googlies tradition, I had been practicing through the week to try and improve my bowling. The type of bowling I attempt is wrist-spin and I tend to send them down with a fair bit of flight.

From a personal perspective, although not taking myself too seriously on the cricket field, I do want to better myself and so it was my ambition to actually be allowed to bowl this season.

It was around over 25 that Chris Judd, our captain, called on me to take over the bowling. I was naturally a tad nervous as one doesn't want to make an eejit out of one's self. I'll let Ron Googly's official match report take over from here:
And then, just for a short moment, time stopped still and a hush fell upon the park as Chris called up Tommo to send down a few.  Well, the words ‘revelation’ and ‘blimey guv’ come to mind as Tom transfixed all and sundry with his loopy spinners that he sent high into the sky and beguiled the poor batsmen who were distracted by having to wipe bits of volcanic ash out of their eyes.
Now, I know Tom was determined to find a bit of rough to pitch the ball into, but we did think he might be looking at something a little closer to home. One ball actually disappeared for a few minutes, which gave enough time for a quick drinks break before it came down again and apparently the local police received a record number of calls from people who thought they had spotted a UFO in the late afternoon Surbiton sky. But it was a devastating spell, which brought young Tom three wickets and tantalisingly leaves him on a hatrick ball. Marvellous. And so it was, finished off by Tommo’s deadly spell, the Wanderers were all out for a paltry 137.
I couldn't quite believe it myself. I didn't know whether to celebrate or just laugh myself to an early grave. Ron Googly sums up with:
Champagne moment was a toss up between three very good catches, but Chris gets the nod for his fine effort off Tommo’s Bowling. And of course a special mention to Tom for his virtuoso display of bowling that on another day might have netted him MOTM himself.
So, even though we lost the match - that top order and middle order and tail order collapse again - I can be glad of being the Googlies current leading wicket-taker and for getting an assist in the man of the match award. Nice.

2 comments:

peter said...

nice. made me smile

T.S. Ó Ceallaigh said...

The comments on my bowling have got worse as the season has progressed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...